Each month, the Moon passes through each of the twelve signs of the zodiac, spending two and a half days in each one. Every sign is particularly suited to a specific domain of activity and style of working. Like our fluctuating moods writ large, the sign of the Moon can describe the temperament or feel of a current period of time. I’ve created this free calendar showing the Moon’s travels for the rest of 2013 (August through December). Times are in Eastern Standard Time.
- ARIES Start something new, proceed independently, develop self-awareness
- TAURUS Take things one step at a time, indulge your senses, be resourceful and productive
- GEMINI Work with information, ideas and communication, engage your curiosity
- CANCER Address your emotional needs, interact with home and family
- LEO Express yourself creatively, give and receive appreciation, enjoy leisure
- VIRGO Delve into the details, critique, analyze, activate your mental acumen
- LIBRA Create harmony amongst others and in your surroundings, build collaboration, compromise, teamwork
- SCORPIO Go deep, encounter hidden emotional tendencies and investigate your personal sense of power
- SAGITTARIUS Expand your horizons through adventure or encounters with philosophy/ideals
- CAPRICORN Engage with structure, organization, discipline
- AQUARIUS Innovate, undertake something new, work with progressive causes
- PISCES Connect with your dreams, ideals or spiritual practices
In addition to watching the sign that the Moon’s traveling through, it’s good to also consider when the Moon is Void of Course. As the Moon passes through each sign, it forms aspects or angular relationships to the other planets. When it reaches the end of the sign, there’s a window of time between when the Moon has formed its last aspect to a planet and enters the next sign. This time period, when the Moon is considered Void of Course, is generally unfavorable for starting new activities. Instead, it is a time for reflection and wrapping up loose ends before the Moon’s ingress into the next sign initiates a new mood with which to work. On the Lunar Strategies calendar, the Void of Course Moon is indicated by the initials vc printed next to the last aspect of the day. The Moon is no longer void of course once it enters the next sign.
The house that the Moon passes through along its course is quite significant as well. While the signs show what type of activity is most supported, the house indicates the area of life where those actions can have the greatest impact. Deciphering your natal chart or consulting with an astrologer to learn about your individual sign and house combinations can be an invaluable tool in making the most out of the always fluctuating movements of the Moon.
The Moon’s phase is a final detail that rounds out our understanding of the lunar journey. As the Moon moves from New to Full, energy is building and increasing. As it moves from Full to New again, energy is disseminating and fading. I’ve published a guide to the Moon’s phases that can shed some light on these aspects. The phase of the Moon that an individual is born under is also significant in understanding one’s temperament or outlook on life.